San Elizario in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Juan de Onate Expedition - 1598
After many delays, Onate and his party of 400 men and members of their families left Santa Barbara, Mexico in January 1598. Instead of following the earlier routes, they crossed the Chihuahua desert to reach the El Paso area. In a ceremony at this site on April 30, 1598, Onate issued a proclamation known as La Toma, taking possession of the region for Spain. Included was all land drained by the Rio del Norte, the Rio Grande.
Proceeding north, Onate established headquarters near present Santa Fe and founded the province of New Mexico. As Governor, he directed exploration of the area until he resigned in 1607. Onate's expedition and La Toma brought Spanish rule to the American Southwest and preceded colonization efforts of other European nations on the North American continent.
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located at the San Elizario Memorial Plaza. Marker is in this post office area: San Elizario TX 79849, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Elizario (here, next to this marker); Espejo Beltran Expedition - 1582-1583 (here, next to this marker); San Elizario Memorial Plaza (here, next to this marker); Rodriguez-Chamuscado Expedition - 1581 (here, next to this marker); Salt War (here, next to this marker); The First Thanksgiving (here, next to this marker); The Camino Real (here, next to this marker); Los Portales (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Elizario.
Also see . . . Don Juan de Ornate - Explorations. Oņate explored more than just New Mexico, taking a party north to the interior of the continent. (Submitted on November 22, 2010.)
Categories. • Exploration •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 805 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.