Florence in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wilson School / Wilson High School
Wilson School, later Wilson High School, was the first public school in Florence, and stood here from 1866 to 1906. At first a private school for black children, it was established by the New England Branch of the Freedmen’s Union Commission and operated by the Freedmen’s Bureau. Thomas C. Cox, its first principal, later served as Darlington County sheriff. The school became a public school after the S.C. Constitution of 1868 authorized a system of free public schools.
Wilson High School
Rev. Joshua E. Wilson (1844-1915), a Methodist minister, was an early principal of what was long called “the Colored Graded School.” It was most likely named Wilson School for him. The school on this site, a frame building, was torn down in 1906 to make was for Central School. A new Wilson School was built on Athens Street. Wilson High School was on Athens Street 1906-1956 and on North Irby Street 1956-1982. It has been on Old Marion Highway since 1982.
Erected 2010 by the Wilson High School Alumni Association, Inc. (Marker Number 21-31.)
Location. 34° 11.613′ N, 79° 45.957′ W. Marker is in Florence, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is on E. Palmetto Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence SC 29501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry Timrod (approx. 0.6 miles away); William H. Johnson Birthplace (approx. ¾ mile away); The Cruiser Pee Dee, C.S.N. (approx. ¾ mile away); World War II Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Civil War Union Burials (approx. 0.9 miles away); Florence National Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Florence Stockade Monument (approx. 1.2 miles away); Florence Depot (1852) / Wilmington & Manchester RR (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 538 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.