Wallace in Marlboro County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Greene's Encampment / Sherman's March
During December 1780, Major General Nathanael Greene, commander of the Southern Army, brought a number of troops to a "camp of repose" near this spot. Here he hoped for abundant food and improvement of strength, discipline, and spirit of his men. Greene departed camp on January 28, 1781 to resume active campaigning against the British.
Units of the Union Army under Maj. Gen. Wm. T. Sherman crossed the Pee Dee River near here during March, 1865, leaving Cheraw for N.C. The 17th Corps advanced to and occupied Bennettsville; the 15th Corps marched about 4 miles and camped at Harrington's Plantation; the 14th and 20th Corps crossed the river several miles north of here at Pegues' Crossing.
Erected 1976 by the Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission. (Marker Number 35-24.)
Location. 34° 43.204′ N, 79° 51.692′ W. Marker is in Wallace, South Carolina, in Marlboro County. Marker is on U.S. 1, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wallace SC 29596, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Albert M. Shipp (approx. John Lyde Wilson (approx. 1.2 miles away); Pee Dee Union Baptist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Coulter Memorial Academy Site (approx. 1.9 miles away); Old St. David's (approx. 2 miles away); The 71st Regiment of Foot (approx. 2 miles away); Francis Asbury's First Visit to S.C. (approx. 2 miles away); Cheraw Confederate Memorial (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wallace.
Categories. • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 903 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.