Mount Pleasant Home for Destitute Children
At this site in 1881, Abby Munro, a Quaker from Philadelphia, established a home for orphans, neglected, and destitute children. Funds to purchase and operate the home were solicited locally and from friends in the North. It was incorporated in 1883 and is believed to have been the first orphanage for colored children in the State.
Room and board cost approximately one dollar a week per child. The children were taught to cook, wash, iron, knit, sew, mend clothes, and all the duties of a household. The older children attended school regularly and made commendable progress in their studies. The orphanage operated here until the building was destroyed by fire in 1920.
Erected 2007 by Town of Mount Pleasant.
Location. 32° 47.194′ N, 79° 52.64′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Bennett Street just from Venning Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pitt Street Merchants (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Whilden House / 54th Massachusetts Regiment (about 400 feet away); St. Andrew's Church
Categories. • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2010. This page has been viewed 644 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2010. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.