Near Darlington in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wilson Crossroads / Dr. Peter A. Wilson
At this point the Camden-Mars Bluff road intersected the road to Darlington on property granted to the Reverend John Wilson (1790-1869) by the state of South Carolina in 1837. Wilson, a North Carolinian, settled here, and after his death his grandson, Dr. Peter A. Wilson, lived on a portion of the land and practiced medicine.
Dr. Peter A. Wilson
Peter Wilson (1846-1913) was born in Darlington County and served in the Confederate Army. He graduated from Washington University School of Medicine in Maryland (1869) and upon the death of his grandfather, the Reverend John Wilson, settled near here and practiced medicine. Dr. Wilson is buried in High Hills Baptist Church Cemetery, about one mile north of here.
Erected 1979 by The Dr. Henry Woodward Chapter S.C. State Society, Daughters of the American Colonists. (Marker Number 16-19.)
Location. 34° 13.405′ N, 79° 53.851′ W. Marker is near Darlington, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Timmonsville Highway (State Highway 340) and Hoffmeyer Road on Timmonsville Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darlington SC 29532, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Pisgah Methodist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Ebenezer Church (approx. 4 miles away); Attempted Ambush (approx. 4.2 miles away); Purple Heart Recipients (approx. 4.5 miles away); Florence Veterans Park (approx. 4.5 miles away); Desert Storm (approx. 4.5 miles away); POW✯MIA (approx. 4.5 miles away); The Marine Corps League of Florence, SC (approx. 4.5 miles away).
Categories. • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 620 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.