Darlington in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Baptist Church
Established in 1831 as Darlington Baptist Church of Christ, with Rev. W.Q. Beattie as its first minister; joined the Welsh Neck Association in 1832. The first sanctuary, built in 1830 just before the church was formally organized, was replaced in 1859 by a second building. During the Civil War the church offered its bell to be melted down to cast cannon for the Confederacy.
This church, which has licensed or ordained 14 clergymen since 1831, was renamed First Baptist Church of Darlington in 1912; the present brick sanctuary was dedicated that December. The Hardin Building was built in 1924; the Jones Building in 1956, the Illy McFall Memorial Building in 1975, and the E.S. Howle Fellowship Hall in 1983. Additional renovations were completed in 1997.
Erected 1998 by the Congregation. (Marker Number 16-38.)
Location. 34° 18.002′ N, 79° 52.145′ W. Marker is in Darlington, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 52) and West Broad Street on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 246 South Main St., Darlington SC 29532, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Lawrence Reese (approx. 0.2 miles away); Macedonia Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Darlington County / Darlington County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Darlington County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. James Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Darlington County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wilds-Edwards House / Samuel Hugh Wilds (approx. 0.4 miles away); Darlington Memorial Center (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
Also see . . . First Baptist Church National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. (Submitted on November 21, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
1. National Register of Historic Places:
First Baptist Church (added 1991 - Building - #88000061)
• 246 S. Main St., Darlington
• Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
• Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
• Architectural Style: Colonial Revival, Other
• Area of Significance: Architecture
• Period of Significance: 1800-1824, 1825-1849, 1850-1874, 1875-1899, 1900-1924
• Owner: Private
• Historic Function: Funerary, Religion
• Historic Sub-function:Cemetery,Church School, Religious Structure
• Current Function: Funerary,
• Current Sub-function: Cemetery, Church School,
• Religious Structure
— Submitted January 14, 2011.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.