Near Sunland Park in Dona Ana County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
International Boundary and Water Commission
International Boundary Marker #1
[English Translation Marker:]
The first international monument of the 276 monuments installed to the west along the international land boundary which marks the international boundary between the United States and Mexico. This monument was placed on January 31, 1855 in accordance with the 1853 treaty and was restored by the International Boundary and Water Commission between the United States and Mexico on June 2, 1989 in commemoration of the first centennial of the establishment of this international commission.
United States Commissioner
Dr. Nareadra A. Gunaji
[Spanish Translation Marker:]
Comisionado por Mexico
Ing. Carlos M. Santibanez Mata.
Erected 1980 by International
Location. 31° 47.035′ N, 106° 31.785′ W. Marker is near Sunland Park, New Mexico, in Dona Ana County. Marker is on McNutt Road 2.6 miles south of Racetrack Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sunland Park NM 88063, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Madero Camp (approx. ¼ mile away in Texas); Smeltertown (approx. ¼ mile away in Texas); El Paso Del Rio Del Norte (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Bliss Officers' Quarters (approx. 1.8 miles away in Texas); El Paso del Rio del Norte (approx. 1.9 miles away in Texas); Camino Real (approx. 1.9 miles away in Texas); Major Simeon Hart (approx. 1.9 miles away in Texas); Capt. James W. Magoffin (approx. 1.9 miles away in Texas).
Additional keywords. International Boundaries
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,029 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 17, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.