Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
De L Aigle Brick Yards
Erected by Works Progress Administration (WPA), State of Georgia. (Marker Number US1 A 11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 33° 27.857′ N, 81° 57.441′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Walton Way near 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located at Magnolia Cemetery driveway, north wall of administration building. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Magnolia Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); De L Aigle Brick Yard (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thankful Baptist Church Troop K Georgia Cavalry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bicentennial Augusta, Ga (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans of All Wars (approx. 0.4 miles away); Georgia’s First School of Medicine (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. James United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Regarding De L Aigle Brick Yards. Wealthy Nicholas de l'Aigle donated part of his plantation and brick yard to the city making a total of 60 acres for the Magnolia Cemetery. The de l'Aigle family lost a son, Armand, to the Confederacy. He was killed at Savage Station, Va. in June 1862, brought home and buried here in March, 1863.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on November 18, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.