Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Millsboro in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Saint Mark's Episcopal Church

 
 
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
1. Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. The first organized services for members of the Protestant Episcopal Church in this community were conducted by Rev. John A. Childs in a local schoolhouse in the mid 1840s. As a result of the declining condition of Prince George’s Chapel in nearby Dagsboro, and in response to the needs of the town’s growing population, a house of worship was built here on land that was purchased from Woolsey and Hetty Burton in 1849. In 1870, the old structure was removed and construction of the present building was commenced. The church was formally consecrated in May 1884. Two early rectors of note were Rev. William Ellis and Rev. Lewis W. Wells. St. Mark’s Parish Hall was constructed in 1963. In 2006 a Community Labyrinth and Meditation Gardens were completed on the former site of the Church Rectory.
 
Erected 2006 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC- 210.)
 
Location. 38° 35.529′ N, 75° 17.576′ W. Marker is in Millsboro, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on West State Street (County Road 326), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located between Wells Alley and Ellis Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 West State Street, Millsboro DE 19966, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker, seen along West State Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
2. Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Marker, seen along West State Street
are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of John J. Williams (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Ableman Homestead (about 500 feet away); Grace United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Indian River Hundred (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town of Millsboro (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dickerson Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Godwin's School - District #190 (approx. 3 miles away); Hickory Hill Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millsboro.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
3. Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Front Door image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
4. Saint Mark's Episcopal Church Front Door
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement