Hollymount in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Saint George's Chapel
Destruction of the first church by fire in 1792 resulted in the construction of the present "Brick Chapel." Completed in 1794, the building was originally designed as a two-story structure with an interior featuring spacious galleries on three sides. Extensive remodeling in 1882-83 included the lowering of walls below the upper windows, and the removal of the side galleries. The deteriorating condition of the chapel resuled in major renovations in 1966-67. With the completion of the effort, the building was restored to reflect the major elements of its original appearance. Saint George's Chapel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Erected 1999 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-132.)
Location. 38° 41.061′ N, 75° 13.104′ W. Marker is in Hollymount, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker Touch for map. Located between Stockley Road (County Road 280) and Hollymount Road (County Road 48). Marker is in this post office area: Harbeson DE 19951, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Georges Chapel (here, next to this marker); Indian Mission United Methodist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); St. John's Methodist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Ancient Paths (approx. 4.9 miles away); Zoar Methodist Church (approx. 5 miles away); The Coursey-Daisey Nanticoke Indian Burial Ground (approx. 5.1 miles away); Broadkiln Hundred (approx. 5.3 miles away); Harmony United Methodist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away).
Regarding Saint George's Chapel. National Register of Historic Places:
St. George's Chapel (added 1973 - Building - #73000556)
♦ Historic Significance: Event
♦ Area of Significance: Religion
♦ Period of Significance: 1750-1799
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 408 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 19, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.