Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Dona Ana in Dona Ana County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Shalam Colony

1884-1901

 
 
Shalam Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 5, 2010
1. Shalam Colony Marker
Inscription. In 1884, Shalam Colony was established on the banks of the Rio Grande near the village of Doņa Ana by John Ballou Newbrough and a group of Utopian followers called Faithists. Newbrough’s “Book of Shalam" set forth a plan for gathering the outcast and orphaned children of the world and raising them to be the spiritual leaders of a new age. Shalam Colony was closed in 1901.
 
Location. 32° 23.017′ N, 106° 50.433′ W. Marker is near Dona Ana, New Mexico, in Dona Ana County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 185 at milepost 5.5 and Shalam Colony Trail, on the right when traveling south on State Road 185. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dona Ana NM 88032, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bartlett Garcia (approx. 0.9 miles away); Doņa Ana (approx. 0.9 miles away); Doņa Ana (1604–1680) (approx. 1.9 miles away); Rio Grande (approx. 5.1 miles away); Rio Grande Theatre (approx. 6.2 miles away); America's First Battle of World War II: The Philippines (approx. 6.3 miles away); Heroes of Bataan (approx. 6.3 miles away); Doņa Ana County Courthouse (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dona Ana.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Rear of Shalam Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 5, 2010
2. Rear of Shalam Colony Marker
Shalam Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 5, 2010
3. Shalam Colony Marker
View south on Highway 185.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 750 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement