Upper Marlboro in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1999 by The Alumni of the Upper Marlboro High School.
Location. 38° 49.036′ N, 76° 45.145′ W. Marker is in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Governor Oden Bowie Drive and Elm Street, on the right when traveling west on Governor Oden Bowie Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Marlboro MD 20772, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Site of the Residence of Dr. William Beanes (a few steps from this marker); Turn of Events (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. William Beanes (within shouting distance of this marker); William Beanes (within shouting distance of this marker); John Rogers (1723 - 1789) (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Walk of History (about 600 feet away); This White Oak Tree (about 600 feet away); Birthplace of John Carroll (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Marlboro.
Also see . . . Old Marlboro High School (Old Marlboro Elementary School). PG:79-52, Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties, "The buildings on the hill overlooking Upper Marlboro represent 150 years of public education. The 1930's high school is the latest in a series of schools on the site, beginning with the Upper Marlboro Academy in 1835. The hillside was known as Academy Hill, and Schoolhouse pond also took its name from the Academy. The hillside was the residence of Dr. William Beanes, well known for his kidnapping by British troops during the War of 1812. Dr. Beanes lived on the hill from 1779 until his death in 1828. His grave is marked by a monument, east of the school. In 1836 the Academy's Board of Trustees purchased the Beanes' property for $1,360." (Submitted on October 18, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,484 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.