Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Talbotton in Talbot County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Straus Home Site

 
 
Straus Home Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 30, 2010
1. Straus Home Site Marker
Inscription. Here stood the small frame house in which Lazarus Straus and his family lived when they came to Talbotton in 1854. Seeking a new home in America after leaving Bavaria, Straus visited Talbotton during a “court week” and decided to make his home among its hospitable people. His family, the only Jewish one in town, became identified with the progress of the community. The sons, Isidor, Nathan and Oscar studied at nearby Collinsworth Institute. Nathan and Oscar attended the Baptist Sunday School.

LAZARUS STRAUS founded a mercantile business in Talbotton and a later one in Columbus. After the War Between the States, he established a crockery and glassware business in New York, a forerunner of Macy’s, which became, under the leadership of ISIDOR STRAUS, one of the world’s leading department stores. OSCAR STRAUS, among the earliest career diplomats, served as minister, ambassador and cabinet member under Presidents Cleveland, McKinley, Roosevelt, and Taft. Author of several books, he wrote the widely read Under Four Administrations. NATHAN STRAUS, leader in the fight for pasteurization of milk and a pioneer in other health reforms, was known throughout his life as a great philanthropist. The Straus family is honored, not for its wealth, but for its outstanding contribution to the American way of life.
 
Erected
Straus Home Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 30, 2010
2. Straus Home Site Marker
1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 130-6.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 40.707′ N, 84° 32.472′ W. Marker is in Talbotton, Georgia, in Talbot County. Marker is at the intersection of North Jefferson Avenue and Harrison Street, on the left when traveling north on North Jefferson Avenue. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of the new Talbot County Library. Marker is in this post office area: Talbotton GA 31827, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Straus Home Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (about 400 feet away); Talbot County (about 500 feet away); First Session Supreme Court of Georgia (about 600 feet away); Zion Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); William Bartram Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); George Washington Towns (approx. ¼ mile away); 1831 Talbotton United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Talbotton.
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
Straus Home Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 30, 2010
3. Straus Home Site Marker
The marker, with the new Talbot County Library in the background
Straus Home Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 30, 2010
4. Straus Home Site Marker
Looking southeast, with the courthouse tower visible in the distance
Straus Home Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Dover, January 19, 2011
5. Straus Home Site Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 445 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 20, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5. submitted on January 19, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement