Selma in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
White - Force Cottage
Dr. Charles F. Force, son of the noted archivist and historian Peter Force, purchased the home in 1869. His widow Mary Matthews Force, one of the first postmistresses and their daughter, Miss Mary Force, a beloved teacher in the Selma schools lived out their lives here.
Purchased 1972 by the Sturdivant Museum Association
National Register of Historic Places Old Town Historic District 5-3-1978
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
Location. 32° 24.828′ N, 87° 1.736′ W. Marker is in Selma, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is on Mabry Street south of Jeff Davis Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 811 Mabry Street, Selma AL 36701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Sturdivant Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Tyler Morgan House (about 400 feet away); Mabry - Jones Home (about 700 feet away); Fairoaks Square (about 700 feet away); “Fairoaks” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Interior Redoubt No. III (approx. ¼ mile away); Ware - Baker - Jones House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Last Stronghold Falls (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Selma.
Also see . . . White-Force Cottage by the Sturdivant Museum Association. (Submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,068 times since then and 62 times this year. Last updated on November 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.