Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Alexandria Library

 
 
Alexandria Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
1. Alexandria Library Marker
Inscription. This site, located in the town's center square, was set aside for public use on the original town plat commissioned by Alexander Fulton in 1805. The building was constructed solely for advancement of culture and learning in 1907 by Caldwell Brothers, Contractors, and Crosby + Henkel of New Orleans, Architects. It replaced an earlier library burned by Gen. Nathaniel Banks' federal troops May 13, 1864. Area businessman S.S. Bryan matched a $10,000.00 grant from Pittsburgh philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The funds were given for a free public library with the stipulation that the City provide a "site and maintenance forever." An accepting ordinance was adopted by Alexandria's Board of Aldermen May 7, 1907. The Alexandria City Council in 1971 adopted a resolution designating the building as the Alexandria Historical and Genealogical Library and Museum. It was restored as a Bicentennial project. Through the date of the placing of this marker, 1990, the building remains in public ownership as the City's only public building over 75 years old used for its original purpose. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places January 19, 1989.
 
Erected 1990 by Sponsored by Dorothy Tudor McWhorter.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Alexandria Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
2. Alexandria Library Marker

 
Location. 31° 18.547′ N, 92° 26.685′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and 5th Street, on the right when traveling north on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 Washington Street, Alexandria LA 71301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commercial Building (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Guaranty Eagles (about 700 feet away); Post-Civil War Alexandria (about 700 feet away); Alexandria (about 700 feet away); Thomas Courtland Manning (about 800 feet away); Rapides Parish Governors (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Rapides Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Louisiana Maneuvers (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Also see . . .  Alexandria Historical and Genealogical Library, now the Louisiana History Museum. (Submitted on November 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
 
Categories. EducationPoliticsWar, US Civil
 
Alexandria Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
3. Alexandria Library Marker
Alexandria Public Library image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
4. Alexandria Public Library
Plaque located on the right wall of the foyer.
Alexandria Public Library image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
5. Alexandria Public Library
Plaque and picture located on the left wall of the foyer.

In memory of
Simpson Sheppard Bryan
1849-1909
The inspirer, organizer and
benefactor of this library
A life devoted to
truth and rectitude
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,075 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement