Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Alexandria's Oldest Hospital

 
 
Alexandria's Oldest Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
1. Alexandria's Oldest Hospital Marker
Inscription. The Alexandria Sanitarium, founded by six area physicians, was opened January 1, 1903 in a former hotel at Second and Lee streets "to provide for a skillful treatment of medical and surgical cases of any nature." In 1905 the first building at Third and Scott streets, one block northeast, was built by the Scott Street Land and Development Co., Dr. John L. Wilson, president. In 1917 the property was given to the Louisiana Baptist Convention and the name changed in 1919 to The Baptist Hospital. The Convention operated the hospital for 53 years, adding units in 1918, 1936, 1941, 1944 and 1947. In 1970 the hospital was released to become a not-for-profit community hospital and the name changed in 1971 to Rapides General Hospital. Rapides Regional Medical Center, established in 1981, by 1990 included the Medical Terrace, Medical Plaza, Cancer Treatment Center and the Rapides Women's Hospital. In 1994 RRMC entered a joint venture with Columbia/HCA Healthcare Corporation to become part of the Columbia Regional Health System.
 
Erected by Rapides Regional Medical Center.
 
Location. 31° 18.857′ N, 92° 26.988′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Medical Center Drive and
Alexandria's Oldest Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
2. Alexandria's Oldest Hospital Marker
4th Street, on the left when traveling north on Medical Center Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria LA 71301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Francis Xavier Cathedral Complex (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emmanuel Baptist Church (approx. mile away); The Hotel Bentley (approx. 0.3 miles away); Louisiana Maneuvers (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Guaranty Eagles (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Rapides Bank Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rapides Parish Governors (approx. 0.4 miles away); Thomas Courtland Manning (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Categories. Science & Medicine
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 854 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement