Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Rapides Bank Building

 
 
Old Rapides Bank Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
1. Old Rapides Bank Building Marker
Inscription. This structure was built on property that once belonged to Alexander Fulton. He had acquired it at the end of the 18th century from Marguerite Cecile Christophe Varrangue. Various persons occupied this site until it was acquired by Rapides Bank in two purchases dated February 26, 1897 and February 5, 1898. The Bank moved to this new location when it was ten years old, in September, 1898, under the leadership of its first president, Col. George Washington Bolton. The original building featured Renaissance Revival detailing, but in 1914, it was remodeled in the neo-classical style by the noted New Orleans architectural firm of Favrot & Livaudais. The impressive three-bay limestone facade is articulated with engaged colossal Tuscan columns, arched windows, and a balustraded entablature. Following the remodeling, a series of flood control set-back levees enveloped all of adjacent First (Front) Street and one-half of each block between First and Second (Main) Streets. Rapides Bank occupied this site until 1954, when it moved two blocks south. This structure was donated in 1982 by the Bank to the Alexandria Museum.
 
Erected 1987 by Central Cities Development Corporation.
 
Location. 31° 18.717′ N, 92° 26.647′ W. Marker
Old Rapides Bank Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
2. Old Rapides Bank Building Marker
is in Alexandria, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Murray Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria LA 71301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rapides Parish Governors (a few steps from this marker); Red River (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Courtland Manning (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Louisiana Maneuvers (about 300 feet away); Alexandria (about 300 feet away); Post-Civil War Alexandria (about 300 feet away); Commercial Building (about 400 feet away); The Hotel Bentley (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Old Rapides Bank Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
3. Old Rapides Bank Building Marker
Also seen in the background is "Red River" marker.
Old Rapides Bank Building image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
4. Old Rapides Bank Building
Old Rapides Bank Building NRHP plaque image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
5. Old Rapides Bank Building NRHP plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 712 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 23, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement