By the time of the American Revolution, patriot Captain Jeremiah Page had settled here, establishing a prosperous brick-making business. An important crossroads developed at what is now Elm and High Streets, where the 1643 Ipswich road bisected the 1760's "New Road" to Salem. A popular tavern catered to the many travelers passing through the area.
During the 1830s this area grew rapidly with the
establishment of eight shoe factories by Samuel
Preston, Elias Putname, Joshua Silvester and others,
along with two general stores, banks, new homes and
churches. A major fire in 1845 resulted in the widening
of Maple street in Danvers square, and in 1855
a combined town house and high school was built
nearby. converging stage, and later trolly lines,
and the intersection of two railroads during the
19th century firmly established the commercial
prominence of "Danvers Plains" for generations to come.
Erected 1995 by Danvers Preservation Commission
Location. 42° 33.977′ N, 70° 56.169′ W. Marker is in Danvers, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on Maple Street near Central Ave, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27 Maple St, Danvers MA 01923, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Commemoration of Arnold's Expedition to Quebec (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rebecca Nurse Homestead (approx. 0.8 miles away); Salem Village Witchcraft Victims’ Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Salem Village Meeting House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Danversport (approx. 1.1 miles away); Site of Israel Hutchinson's Home / Israel Hutchinson (approx. 1.1 miles away); Samuel Holten House (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Church in Salem Village (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danvers.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2010, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 631 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 23, 2010, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.