Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarksville in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. George's United Methodist Church

 
 
St. George's United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 11, 2010
1. St. George's United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The roots of this congregation can be traced to the late 1700ís, when Methodist pioneers such as Francis Asbury and Freeborn Garrettson visited this area to propagate the faith. Meetings were held in the open air and in private residences. By 1816 a group of local residents were joining together in worship. In 1833 land was purchased approximately one mile north here for the construction of a church. Services were held there until 1880, when the present church was erected on land purchased from John Steele. The new building was formally dedicated on December 12, 1880. A major renovation and expansion of the church was undertaken 1928-30.
 
Erected by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-109.)
 
Location. 38° 32.959′ N, 75° 8.871′ W. Marker is in Clarksville, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of Omar Road (County Road 54) and Vines Creek Road (State Route 26), on the right when traveling west on Omar Road. Touch for map. Located at the junction of Vines Creek Road (State Route 26),Omar Road and Powell Farm Road (County Road 365). Marker is in this post office area: Frankford DE 19945, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow
St. George's United Methodist Church Marker along Vines Creek Road (DE 26) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 11, 2010
2. St. George's United Methodist Church Marker along Vines Creek Road (DE 26)
flies. Union Wesley United Methodist Church and Campground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Blackwater Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); U.S. Army Radar Site 11 (approx. 2.7 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (first marker) (approx. 2.7 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (second marker) (approx. 2.7 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (third marker) (approx. 2.7 miles away); Baltimore Hundred (approx. 3 miles away); Marinerís Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 3.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. George's United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 11, 2010
3. St. George's United Methodist Church and Marker
St. George's United Methodist Church Marker, opposite Powell Farm Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 11, 2010
4. St. George's United Methodist Church Marker, opposite Powell Farm Road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 594 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement