Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of First Milwaukee County Courthouse
First Court House 1836-1870
First Jail 1836 – 1847
First County Offices 1844-1870
Second Jail 1847-1870
This tablet erected by
Under direction of the
Old Settlers Club of Milwaukee County
Erected 1900 by Milwaukee County and Old Settlers Club of Milwaukee County.
Location. 43° 2.541′ N, 87° 54.292′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of Kilbourn Avenue and Jackson Street, on the right when traveling east on Kilbourn Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is near the northeast corner of Cathedral Square. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Court House (here, next to this marker); Rescue of Joshua Glover (a few steps from this marker); Court House Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John Cathedral (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Matthew Keenan House (about 600 feet away); Old St. Mary's Church Womens Club of Wisconsin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brig. Gen. Rufus King’s Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Also see . . .
1. Milwaukee County History. (Submitted on November 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Milwaukee Landmarks. (Submitted on November 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 470 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.