Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saint John Cathedral
The first church built in Wisconsin specifically as a Roman Catholic Cathedral, dedicated in 1853, and designated in 1974 as a Milwaukee Landmark in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community.
Original Cornerstone inscription: 2nd Sunday of Advent, December Ninth 1847
This property has been place on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior
Location. 43° 2.503′ N, 87° 54.25′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on Jackson Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker and cathedral are east opposite Cathedral Square, between Kilbourn Avenue and Wells Street. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Court House Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Rescue of Joshua Glover (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Court House (about 300 feet away); Site of First Milwaukee County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Matthew Keenan House (about 500 feet away); Brig. Gen. Rufus King’s Home Womens Club of Wisconsin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Northwestern National Insurance Company (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Also see . . . History of Saint John Cathedral. (Submitted on November 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 386 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.