Wallkill in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Liberty and Washington Streets, Newburgh
—Historic New York —
General Washington came to the farm home of the Hasbrouck family in Newburgh on April 1, 1782. He occupied the house until August 19, 1783, while his troops were encamped at Temple Hill, a few miles away.
These were trying months while a peace treaty was being negotiated with Great Britain. It was a time of restless inaction for the troops: of discipline maintained with difficulty.
It was at Newburgh, among the General Orders of the Day, August 7, 1782, that General Washington proposed the establishment of the Purple Heart.
Adjacent to the Headquarters is a regional museum.
Erected by the Education Department, State of New York, Department of Public Works.
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here, and the Historic New York marker series.
Location. 41° 35.553′ N, 74° 5.307′ W. Marker is in Wallkill, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on New York State Thruway (Interstate 87 at milepost 66) near the Route 32 overpass, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. It is at the Modena Travel Plaza on the turnpike southbound, which is between New Platz (Route 299) and Newburgh (I-84) exits. Marker is in this post office area: Wallkill NY 12589, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Newburgh Area (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Newburgh Area (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Washington’s Headquarters (approx. 1.1 miles away); Thomas Machin’s Mint (approx. 3.6 miles away); Gidney Grist Mill (approx. 5.4 miles away).
More about this marker. A "Historic New York" marker.
Also see . . . George Washington's Historic Newburgh Address (Speech). (Submitted on May 31, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,768 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on March 24, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.