Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Milwaukee Fire Department Engine House #15

Historic Third Ward Walking Tour Site 36

 
 
Milwaukee Fire Dept Engine House #15 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 5, 2010
1. Milwaukee Fire Dept Engine House #15 Marker
Inscription.

This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places


Designed by
Charles E. Malig
Tour Site 36
1915

 
Erected by Historic Third Ward. (Marker Number 36.)
 
Location. 43° 1.899′ N, 87° 54.588′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Erie Street, on the left when traveling north on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 North Water Street, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sinking of the Lady Elgin (within shouting distance of this marker); Pabst Brewing Company Saloon & Boarding House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bradley & Metcalf Shoe Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); Young Saddlery Company Addition (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Keenan Building (about 400 feet away); Cawker Building (about 400 feet away); Friend & Marks Co., Clothiers (about 500 feet away); Monarch Manufacturing Co., Clothiers (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Regarding Milwaukee Fire Department Engine House #15.
Milwaukee Fire Dept Engine House #15 and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 5, 2010
2. Milwaukee Fire Dept Engine House #15 and Marker
Bridge to left, beyond photo.

At the confluence of the Milwaukee and Menomonee Rivers, architect Charles E. Malig designed the Milwaukee Fire Department Engine House #15 in 1915. The station was the last operating fireboat house in the city. In 1997, the city sold the building to BDC, an architectural firm. The building now houses a medical billing firm.

[From the Historic Walking Tour brochure]
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Third Ward. (Submitted on November 28, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historic Third Ward Walking Tour Brochure. (Submitted on November 28, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
View South from Rear of MFD Engine House image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 5, 2010
3. View South from Rear of MFD Engine House
View along the Milwaukee River image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 5, 2010
4. View along the Milwaukee River
Looking north along the Milwaukee River from back of the fire station.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 897 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 28, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement