High Island in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Settled by anglos in the early 1800s, nearly all of High Island lies within the Martin Dunman survey, granted in 1837. The pioneers were mostly farmers, though George E. Smith gained fame from his patented bottled water from natural springs on his land.
The town expanded in 1886 when the gulf and interstate railroad began operations in the area. A depot was built along with many new businesses. In 1897, C.T. Cade constructed the Sea View hotel on the hill overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. The hotel became a place of refuge in 1900 and 1915 when hurricanes struck the Texas coast, causing flooding over the peninsula.
Oil was discovered on High Island, with successful drilling beginning in 1916. Petroleum deposits found at the perimeter of the salt dome in 1931 started an oil boom and provided employment for the region.
High Island has become recognized internationally as an important habitat for migratory birds, bringing crowds of birdwatchers annually to the area.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in a rest area. Marker is in this post office area: High Island TX 77623, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rollover Fish Pass (approx. 7.4 miles away but has been reported missing).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2010, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 479 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2010, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on October 1, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.