Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Griffith's Chapel

Williamsville Methodist Church

 
 
Griffith's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
1. Griffith's Chapel Marker
Inscription. When Methodism first came to this area in the late 18th century, residents worshipped in local homes and journeyed to nearby towns to attend services. On November 20, 1848 William and Sarah Griffith conveyed land at this location to Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church to build "thereon a church or place of worship". Construction was completed circa 1850, and the building was named in their honor. The chapel is a well-preserved example of a mid-nineteenth century, rural Methodist meeting house. The plain interior contains a balcony, recessed apse and original pews. Services were conducted here until the mid-1970s. In 1982 the Peninsula Conference of the United Methodist Church deeded the property to the Williamsville Historical Society. Griffith's Chapel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
 
Erected 2008 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-109.)
 
Location. 38° 53.75′ N, 75° 30.493′ W. Marker is in Houston, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of Williamsville Road and Abbotts Pond Road on Williamsville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Houston DE 19954, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker
Griffith's Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
2. Griffith's Chapel
, measured as the crow flies. Abbott's Mill (approx. 1.8 miles away); Milford (approx. 3.7 miles away); a different marker also named Milford (approx. 4.1 miles away); Parson Thorne Mansion (approx. 4.1 miles away); First Rural Free Delivery Route (approx. 4.2 miles away); Mispillion River Greenway Historical Sites (approx. 4.2 miles away); Clark's Corner (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 4.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Griffith's Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
3. Griffith's Chapel
National Register of Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
4. National Register of Historic Places Plaque
Griffith's Chapel Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
5. Griffith's Chapel Cemetery
Griffith's Chapel Outhouse image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
6. Griffith's Chapel Outhouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 697 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 1, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement