Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bridgeville in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chaplain's Chapel United Methodist Church

 
 
Chaplain's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
1. Chaplain's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Methodism came to this area in the late 18th century when pioneering circuit riders such as Francis Asbury visited local residents to spread the message of their faith. The origin of this congregation can be traced to 1859, when the members of two local Methodist Societies joined together to establish a new church. The former meeting places, known as Oninís or “Gully Camp” and “Russell Church” were abandoned following the move to this location. Construction of the present house of worship was initiated in July 1859. The building was named Chaplainís Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church in recognition of the efforts of Reverend John Chaplain, the first minister of the church. A graveyard was subsequently established for the use of members.
 
Erected 2006 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-209.)
 
Location. 38° 44.551′ N, 75° 30.593′ W. Marker is in Bridgeville, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of Chaplain's Chapel Road and Deer Forest Road on Chaplain's Chapel Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridgeville DE 19933, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Seaford Hundred (approx. 3.5 miles
Chaplain's Chapel United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
2. Chaplain's Chapel United Methodist Church
away); Cokesbury Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Site of Jacobs School #143 (approx. 4.4 miles away); Bridgeville, Delaware (approx. 4.8 miles away); Sudler House (approx. 4.8 miles away); Edward Redfield (approx. 4.9 miles away); St. Johnstown Methodist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Hearn's Pond (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgeville.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 568 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement