Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

52nd Ohio Infantry

McCook's Brigade - Davis’ Division

 

14th Corps

 
52d Ohio Infantry. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 10, 2010
1. 52d Ohio Infantry. Marker
Note the missing "s" in "Davis's."
Inscription.
52d Ohio Infantry.
McCook's Brig., Davi's Div., 14th Corps.

Maj. James T. Holmes.
Nov. 25, 1863.

Davis' Division, in which this regiment served, was concentrated at Caldwell's crossing opposite the mouth of the west Chickamauga, previous to the arrival of General Sherman's forces. It covered the crossing of that command over the Tennessee on the night of Nov. 23, and forenoon of the 24th. It acted as a reserve to Sherman throughout the battle of the 25th, but its infantry was not engaged. On the 26th the regiment skirmishes heavily beyond Chickamauga Station, and the next day near Ringgold.
There were no casualties in this regiment.
 
Erected 1908 by State of Ohio. (Marker Number MT-289.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Ohio Reservation, and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park: November 25, 1863 marker series.
 
Location. 35° 1.691′ N, 85° 15.469′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road 0.1 miles from Ridge Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This marker (tablet) is located on Missionary
52d Ohio Infantry. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 10, 2010
2. 52d Ohio Infantry. Marker
View looking west at this historical marker which is located with a series of Ohio Regimental historical markers situated along the right (north) side of the Ohio Reservation's property line.
Ridge, along South Crest Road, in the Ohio Reservation. This particular marker (tablet) is at the eastern end of the row of tablets that line the right (north) side property line of the Ohio Reservation, and is located about 50 feet away from South Crest Road. According to the location information provided by the National Park Service, “Missionary Ridge - Ohio Reservation/1934 Map 124-10”. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 74th Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 21st Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 10th Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 18th Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 1st Ohio Sharpshooters (a few steps from this marker); 10th Ohio Cavalry (a few steps from this marker); 4th Ohio Cavalry (Battalion) (a few steps from this marker); 3d Ohio Cavalry (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
 
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “Bronze inscription tablet with decorative border mounted on low marble pedestal. Describes unit's activities during Battle
52d Ohio Infantry. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 10, 2010
3. 52d Ohio Infantry. Marker
View looking east of the historical marker at it's location on the right (north) side of the Ohio Reservation, and at the eastern end of a series of Ohio historical markers, about 50 feet west of South Crest Road.
of Missionary Ridge.”
 
Also see . . .  National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on August 27, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
52d Ohio Infantry. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 10, 2010
4. 52d Ohio Infantry. Marker
View of the Ohio Monument at the Ohio Reservation, situated along crest of Missionary Ridge, where this historical marker is located along the right (north) property line, very near South Crest Road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 376 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 3, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement