Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Georgetown Train Station

 
 
Georgetown Train Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
1. Georgetown Train Station Marker
Inscription. In 1857 efforts to extend a rail line from Harrington to the harbor at Lewes were initiated. Though the line was completed to Milford in 1859, additional work was delayed until 1867. By 1868 the rails had reached Georgetown. With extension of the railway to Lewes the following year, and the addition of connections to the Rehoboth resort and the lower Eastern Shore in the 1870s, the Delmarva Peninsula experienced a period of unprecedented prosperity. Located at the hub of this network, Georgetown was transformed by a growing population and booming economy. The town’s first passenger station was located immediately north of this site. By the 1880s, a steady increase in the number of travelers had resulted in the need for a newer and larger facility. In response to this demand, the construction of the present station was completed in 1892. For many years the station bustled with activity. By the mid 20th century, road improvements and the growing use of automobiles and trucks led to a declining market for railroad services. Though the shipment of freight would continue, passenger service was ended in the spring of 1949. The Georgetown station served as an office for various railway functions until it was sold in 1972. The building was vacant when it was purchased by the Historic Georgetown Association in 1996. An extensive project to restore
Georgetown Train Station Sign image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
2. Georgetown Train Station Sign
the exterior of the building to its original appearance was undertaken, and with the completion of the renovation of the interior in 2003, this historic structure was returned to its role as a center for the economic and social life of the community.
 
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-193.)
 
Location. 38° 41.596′ N, 75° 23.156′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from Layton Avenue one mile from Depot Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the northwest wall of the train station. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown DE 19947, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wesley United Methodist (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Academy / Masonic Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Georgetown Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sussex County Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); “Pettijohn’s Old Field” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Relocation of the County Seat (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sussex County World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grace United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Georgetown Train Station image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 12, 2010
3. Georgetown Train Station
Georgetown Train Station repairs from May 2011 fire damages image. Click for more information.
By Mike Stroud, October 18, 2011
4. Georgetown Train Station repairs from May 2011 fire damages
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 3, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4. submitted on November 18, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement