The Schwartz & Raas and San Angelo National Bank Building
In 1885 Louis Schwartz and Joseph Raas, owners of a grocery in this block, built a commercial structure adjacent to the bank building. Designed by the noted San Angelo architect Oscar Ruffini, it features a facade of stone, cast iron, and sheet iron. The building was first rented to the firm of Johnson & Taylor, Fancy Grocers, competitors of Schwartz & Raas.
The third structure here, built in 1886, replaced the earlier Schwartz and Raas grocery and dry goods store. In 1888 the business was expanded to include their adjacent building. Later the site of the Roxy Theatre, the 1886 structure was damaged by fire in 1973. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Location. 31° 27.618′ N, 100° 26.072′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is on E Concho Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Between S. Chadbourne & S. Oakes Streets. Marker is in this post office area: San Angelo TX 76903, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blacksmith (within shouting distance of this marker); Goodfellow Air Force Base (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Angelo Army Air Field (about 400 feet away); Fort Concho (about 400 feet away); South Chadbourne 200 Block Early 1900's (about 400 feet away); O.C. Fisher Federal Building and United States Courthouse (about 500 feet away); 1 East Twohig Avenue (about 500 feet away); San Angelo National Bank Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 745 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 4. submitted on February 22, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.