Near Shiloh in Hardin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Cheatham's Division - Polk's Corps
—Army of the Mississippi —
Johnson's (1st) Brigade,
Walker's 2d Tenn., 15th Tenn., Blythe's Miss., 154th Tenn., One Gun of Polk's Tenn. Battery,
Cheatham's (2d) Div., Polk's Corps,
Army of the Mississippi.
This brigade, reduced to less than 1000 men, was engaged here at about 11.30 a.m. April 6, 1862. About noon the infantry retired and the gun of Polk's battery was lost. Blythe's Miss. and Co. "L" of 154th Tenn. Were again engaged here until 1.30 p.m. The 154th Tenn. Went to support of Swett's battery in Ruggles' line; Walker's (2d) Tenn. to reenforce 38th Tenn. west of Duncan Field.
Erected by Shiloh National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number 332.)
Location. 35° 8.379′ N, 88° 20.946′ W. Marker is near Shiloh, Tennessee, in Hardin County. Marker is on Sherman Road ¼ mile north of Hamburg-Purdy Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. 100 yards east of Sherman Road in Woolf Field, in Shiloh National Military Park. Marker is in this post office area: Shiloh TN 38376, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 4th Tennessee Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp of 45th Illinois Infantry Stewart's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington (La.) Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Rousseau's Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Division, Army of the Tennessee (about 400 feet away); McClernand's Headquarters (about 400 feet away); 45th Illinois Infantry (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shiloh.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2010, by Allen Gathman of Pocahontas, Missouri. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2010, by Allen Gathman of Pocahontas, Missouri. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.