Mount Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Episcopal Church
Christ Church Parish
The first clergyman in 1708
Rev.Edward Marston and Vestry follows
David Maybank and Henry Gill, Wardens
Thomas Barton, William Capers,
Leonard Hickman, John Simes,
Richard Fairchild, John Hale,
and Nathaniel Loughton.
The Church was first destroyed by
accidental fire February 13th 1724, and
immediately rebuilt. In 1782 it was most
wantonly burnt down by the British Army,
the walls remained standing and church
rebuilt prior to 1797. In the War Between
The States, 1865, it was completely ruined,
except for walls, by United States Negro
Troops. Rebuilt and consecrated for the
first time by Bishop W.B.W. Howe on Sunday
December 27th, 1874. In the summer of 1924,
John F. Maybank, a descendent of the first
warden, with the grateful consent of the
Vestry, had, under his direction, the church
placed in thorough physical condition, and
a lasting metal fence erected around it's
hallowed burying ground, and created a
fund for it's perpetual care.
Walls standing in 1925 are original
This tablet presented by J.Oswald Freeman,Secretary and Treasurer of the Vestry September 1925
Location. Touch for map. Located opposite Long Point Road. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29466, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Christ Church ( within shouting distance of this marker); Snee Farm ( within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Lines ( about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Snee Farm ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles Pinckney - Statesman ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Slave Community ( approx. 0.7 miles away); Rice Trunk ( approx. 0.7 miles away); Lowcountry Waterways ( approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Regarding Christ Church. (Christ Episcopal Church) Architecturally, Christ Church is representative of the continuous ingenuity displayed by a rural community in keeping its religious center operative. The original early colonial architecture has been adapted several times as the result of numerous events in the church’s long history which have necessitated reconstruction and improvement, but
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,015 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8. submitted on January 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.