Chattahoochee County Jail
This jail is situated on property that was purchased soon after the county was created on February 13, 1854. Mr. Asbury Bryan was paid $1,250 for the original two-story log jail that was completed by July 20, 1855, under the supervision of Sheriff Silas Brown.
The dimensions of the log structure were eighteen by twenty-two feet with fifteen inches separating the double walls. The jail was used continuously until the new facility was completed in 1902. At that time LaFayette Harp served as sheriff.
Constructed in 1902, this two-story fireproof facility was built to replace the previous two-story log jail. The Pauly Jail and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri constructed the fail for $5,000. Romanesque influences such as the arched windows and door openings with an extended central bay enhance the exterior appearance of the building. The original prefabricated iron cells, with unique corner fireplaces, are located on the second floor. The jail served the county until 1975. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 13, 1986.
Erected 2002 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Chattahoochee County Historic Preservation Society.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kasihta (Cusseta) (within shouting distance of this marker); VFW Post 5000 (within shouting distance of this marker); Chattahoochee County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Veterans (about 300 feet away); Cusseta School (approx. ¼ mile away); Battle of Hitchity (was approx. 2.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Louvale Church Row (approx. 9.4 miles away); Antioch Institute (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cusseta.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 540 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.