North Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Elms, an inland rice plantation on the headwaters of Goose Creek, was owned by the Izard family for more than 150 years. In 1704 Ralph Izard (d. 1711), member of the Commons House of Assembly, bought a 250-acre tract here, expanding it to more than 500 acres. His son Ralph II (d. 1743) also served in the Assembly and on the Royal Council. The first to plant rice at The Elms, he enlarged it to more than 2,700 acres.
Ralph Izard III (1742-1804) lent money to the Patriot cause and later served in the Continental Congress. A state representative after the war, then U.S. Senator, Izard was briefly President Pro Tempore of the Senate. An 1818 visitor to The Elms described its “avenue of lofty elms & of loftier live oaks.” Its ca. 1718 house, later rebuilt after a fire, was virtually destroyed by the Charleston earthquake of 1886.
Erected 2008 by the City of North Charleston. (Marker Number 10-60.)
Location. 32° 58.782′ N, 80° 4.38′ W. Marker is in North Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker can be reached from University Blvd. (U.S. 78). Touch for map. The marker is at the Hunter Reception Center, Charleston Southern
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Elms Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); French Huguenot Plantation / Freedman's Plantation (approx. 1.6 miles away); Broom Hall Plantation (approx. 1.7 miles away); Crowfield Plantation (approx. 1.7 miles away); Otranto Plantation (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Oaks (approx. 2.2 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 2.3 miles away); St. James, Goose Creek (approx. 2.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Ralph Izard III - A Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. (Submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 623 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.