Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McClellanville in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

McClellanville

 
 
McClellanville Marker (Front) image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, December 16, 2010
1. McClellanville Marker (Front)
Inscription.
[Front]
McClellanville began in the late 1850s and early 1860s when local plantation owners A. J. McClellan and R. T. Morrison sold lots in the vicinity of Jeremy Creek to planters of the Santee Delta, who sought relief from summer fevers. The first store opened soon after the Civil War, and the village became the social and economic center for a wide area that produced timber, rice,
Continued on other side)

[Reverse]
(Continued from other side)
cotton, naval stores, and seafoods. Incorporated in 1926 and encircled by the Francis Marion National Forest and Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge, McClellanville is best known for its shrimp fleet and seafood industries. Except for a period during the Civil War, two lighthouses in the Wildlife Refuge served as beacons to coastal shipping from 1827 to 1947.
 
Erected 1995 by St. James, Santee, Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-24.)
 
Location. 33° 5.122′ N, 79° 27.635′ W. Marker is in McClellanville, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Pinckney Street (State Highway S-10-9) south of Oak Street/Dupre Road (State Highway S-10-71). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Clellanville SC 29458, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
McClellanville Marker (Reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, December 16, 2010
2. McClellanville Marker (Reverse)
within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Deerhead Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Richard Tillia Morrison (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James Santee Parish Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Point Plantation (about 700 feet away); Archibald Rutledge Birthplace (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lucasí 1792 Wind Powered Sawmill (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lowcountry Seamanís Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. James Santee Parish Church (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McClellanville.
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Pinckney St. View image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, December 16, 2010
3. Pinckney St. View
McClellanville Town Sign at the Town Hall and Museum image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, December 16, 2010
4. McClellanville Town Sign at the Town Hall and Museum
McClellanville Museum image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, December 16, 2010
5. McClellanville Museum
Remains of a wind power sawmill
One of the Small Parks image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, December 16, 2010
6. One of the Small Parks
members of the McClellanville Shrimp Fleet ,as mentioned image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 10, 2013
7. members of the McClellanville Shrimp Fleet ,as mentioned
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina.   3. submitted on December 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina.   4. submitted on December 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina.   5, 6. submitted on December 18, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina.   7. submitted on November 10, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement