Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Golden Fleece Tavern

Birthplace of the First State

 
 
The Golden Fleece Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
1. The Golden Fleece Tavern Marker
Inscription. This was the site of the Golden Fleece Tavern, scene of some of the most important and dramatic events in Delaware history. Built in the 1730s, the Golden Fleece was a center for community and government activities. It was a place of great importance during the American Revolution and the early years of our Nation’s Independence. Also known as Battell’s Tavern, it hosted the meetings of the Committee of Inspection and Observation, and was a vital point for the exchange of wartime communications. With the transfer of state government from New Castle to Dover in 1777, the Golden Fleece became the meeting place of the Assembly’s Upper House, the Legislative Council. It was the home of that body until a State House was completed in 1791. In September 1787, a new framework for our Nation’s government was sent to the states for consideration. Thirty delegates were elected to meet and review the document. The meeting was convened here on December 3. Approval was unanimous, and on December 7, 1787, Delaware became the first state to ratify the Federal Constitution. A fitting climax to its role as Delaware’s “Capitol Tavern” occurred in January 1790, when the Council met to approve the Bill of Rights. The Golden Fleece was demolished circa 1830, and replaced by the Capitol Hotel. The hotel was closed in the 1920s, and renovated
The Golden Fleece Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
2. The Golden Fleece Tavern
to its present appearance by Henry and Mabel Lloyd Ridgely.
 
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-76.)
 
Location. 39° 9.396′ N, 75° 31.425′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of State Street and The Green, on the left when traveling south on State Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In the Council Chamber of Elizabeth Battell's Golden Fleece Tavern (here, next to this marker); Ridgely House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Delaware Line (within shouting distance of this marker); State House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kent County Courthouses (1680-1983) (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of King George’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); John Bell House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); An Army of Restoration (CCC) (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
 
Categories. GovernmentIndustry & CommerceNotable Events
 
The Golden Fleece Tavern Shingle image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2012
3. The Golden Fleece Tavern Shingle
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 845 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3. submitted on October 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement