McClellanville in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The McClellan family for which McClellanville was named acquired this land shortly before the American Revolution. A 490-acre tract on Jeremy Creek was originally granted to John Whilden in 1705. In 1771 master carpenter Archibald McClellan, Sr. (1740-1791) bought the tract, built a house on the marsh, and named it Point Plantation. He planted an avenue of live oaks that still stand and expanded the plantation to 1350 acres, primarily raising cattle.
Point Plantation passed to Archibald McClellan, Jr. (1764-1846), then to his sons William and Archibald. Archibald J. McClellan (1814-1880) grew cotton and produced lime and salt here after his brotherís death. By the 1850s he and Richard T. Morrison (1816-1910) leased, then later sold, lots to area planters. The village here was named for the McClellan family by 1860. The old house at Point Plantation burned in 1902 and was replaced by the present house.
Erected 2008 by The Village Museum. (Marker Number 10-55.)
Location. 33° 5.018′ N, 79° 27.585′ W. Marker is in McClellanville, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Pinckney Street when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Archibald Rutledge Birthplace (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); McClellanville (about 700 feet away); Deerhead Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); Richard Tillia Morrison (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James Santee Parish Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lucasí 1792 Wind Powered Sawmill (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lowcountry Seamanís Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James Santee Parish Church (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McClellanville.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 492 times since then. Last updated on December 18, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.