Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
America’s First Garden Club
In 1891 at this site, the Ladies Garden Club was founded by twelve Athens ladies in the home of Mrs. E. K. Lumpkin. Mrs. Lamar Cobb was the first president. Beginning as a small neighborhood group, the club extended membership to all Athens ladies interested in gardening in 1892.
In the spring of 1892 the group presented its first flower and vegetable exhibition. By 1894 a set of standards, similar to those of today, had been drawn up to make the shows as professional as possible.
In 1936 the National Council of State Garden Clubs recognized the Ladies Garden Club as America’s first garden club.
Erected 1963 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 029-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.707′ N, 83° 23.588′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Prince Avenue (U.S. 129) and North Chase Street, on the right when traveling east on Prince Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 973 Prince Avenue, Athens GA 30601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. William Lorenzo Moss Birthplace The Taylor-Grady House (approx. ¼ mile away); May Erwin Talmadge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931) (approx. 0.4 miles away); U.S. Navy Supply Corps School / Former Site of Georgia State Normal School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Camak House: (approx. 0.6 miles away); Athens High and Industrial School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Home of Joseph Henry Lumpkin (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 789 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 18, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.