When Andrew Jackson defeated the Creek Nation at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in 1814, the subsequent Treaty of Fort Jackson and other treaties that followed ceded Indian land that made up most of what is now Alabama. Abraham Stout was commissioned to build a public road in 1822-1823 from Gandyís Cove in Cataco/Morgan County to Elyton. He closely followed the old Indian trails for the Route, which came directly through what is now Gardendale. Pioneers had already arrived in the area and after the completion of Stoutís Road, some had settled and purchased land here, the first recorded in 1824 by John Belcher. Others quickly followed, including Otis Dyer in 1828 and Zachariah Stagg in 1834. James K. Jacks operated a tollgate on Stoutís Road, as it passed near his plantation. Coal mines opened nearby in the 1870s, several operated by John T. Millner, one of the founders of Birmingham and surveyor of the South & North Railroad. Millner donated lumber to build the first school in Gardendale in 1892, which was named Millner School.
Some early businesses included James I. Kimmonís store, sawmill, and cotton gin; James and Elijah H. Moncriefís cotton gin and sawmill; and William Harrison Parkerís grist mill. Dairies and farms dotted the area. Some of the early churches established in Gardendale
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Gardendale Historical Society.
Location. 33° 38.862′ N, 86° 48.678′ W. Marker is in Gardendale, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Bell Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gardendale AL 35071, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Virgil Allen Howard (a few steps from this Black Creek Park, Five Mile Creek Greenway Partnership and the Fultondale Coke Oven Park (approx. 1.9 miles away); Tarrant City Hall (approx. 4.9 miles away); History of the 117th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing (approx. 5.9 miles away); Brookside's Unique Heritage / Brookside Russian Orthodox Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Zion Memorial Gardens (approx. 6.4 miles away); North Birmingham (approx. 6.5 miles away); Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 6.7 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is located in the northwest corner of Gardendale's Millennium Park.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama entry on Gardendale. (Submitted on December 19, 2012, by Laura Hill of Auburn, Alabama.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2010, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,072 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2010, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.