Between 1859-1872, thousands of wagons and travelers crossed at Shinn's Ferry, some en route to Ft. Kearny via the south bank of the Platte, and others representing local traffic between Butler and Colfax counties: Moses Shinn, a religious man, reportedly held daily services for travelers using the ferry.
The original ferry was accidentally destroyed in 1865. A replacement was used until a bridge was constructed at Schuyler in 1872. The demise of Shinn's Ferry, and the removal of the Butler county seat to David City in 1873, doomed the town of Savannah which at one time boated the courthouse, a hotel, stores and a blacksmith shop. No traces of Savannah survive today.
Erected by Butler County Historical Society & Nebraska Historical Society. (Marker Number 252.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2010, by Bob Pasonault of Columbus, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 847 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2010, by Bob Pasonault of Columbus, Nebraska. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.