Green Bay in Brown County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Augustin de Langlade
Block 3 Astor directly west of this marker stood about the year 1745 the home and trading house of
the first permanent settlers of Wisconsin.
"Bravest of the Brave"
Erected 1916 by The Woman's Club of Green Bay.
Location. 44° 30.682′ N, 88° 1.103′ W. Marker is in Green Bay, Wisconsin, in Brown County. Marker is on South Washington Street north of Crooks Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on wall in front of the Johnson Bank Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 318 South Washington Street, Green Bay WI 54301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Freimann Hotel Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Packers Office Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Influence of the Fur Trade Milwaukee Road Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milwaukee Road Passenger Depot (about 300 feet away); Vice Admiral James H. Flatley Jr. (about 400 feet away); Elks Club (about 600 feet away); Bank Of Wisconsin (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Green Bay.
Regarding Augustin de Langlade.
Charles de Langlade, called the “Father of Wisconsin”, was a half-French Ottawa chief who along with his father Augustine de Langlade established the first permanent settlement here. They established a trading post on the Fox River in 1764. The Grignon’s, Porlier’s, and Lawe’s who followed brought Canadian-French culture with them and colorful “Jack-knife” Judge Reaume dispensed British justice to the area.
Also see . . . Sieur Charles Michel de Langlade. Lost Cause, Lost Culture by Sandra J. Zipperer - Writings about Langlade portray him as a man of ambition, bravery, and charm. He could be cruel, self-seeking, and politic. He (Submitted on December 19, 2010.)
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,028 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on December 19, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. Photos: 1. submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 2. submitted on December 21, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 3. submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.