Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Christ Church, Washington Parish
Founded May 25, 1795
—[National Register of Historic Places] —
Present edifice dedicated October 8, 1809,
by Bishop Thomas J. Claggett,
first bishop consecrated on
- in New York, 1792.
Erected 1930 by Marcia Burns Chapter, D. A. R.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 38° 52.906′ N, 76° 59.849′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from G Street, SE east of 6th Street, SE, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 620 G Street, SE, Washington DC 20003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In the Alley (a few steps from this marker); John Philip Sousa (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church and Its Parishioners (within shouting distance of this marker); Life on the Park (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commerce and Community (about 800 feet away); A Neighborhood For Everyone Edge of the Row (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oldest Post of the Corps (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Also see . . .
1. Congressional Cemetery (Washington Parish Burial Ground). (Submitted on December 20, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Christ Church, Washington Parish. "... Although there is some controversy, Benjamin Latrobe, one of 19th-century America's greatest architects, is generally credited with the design of the present church building. ..." (Submitted on December 22, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Episcopal; Historic Congressional Cemetery; Benjamin Henry Latrobe, architect.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 788 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on December 21, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on December 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.