Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Christ Church and Its Parishioners
Tour of Duty
—Barracks Row Heritage Trail —
This is Christ Church, Washington Parish, the first Episcopal church established in Washington City (1794), and attended by Presidents Thomas Jefferson and John Quincy Adams.
At first Christ Church met in a nearby tobacco warehouse. In 1806 parishioner William Prout donated this land to the congregation, and one year later a simple, two-story rectangular building went up, designed by Navy Yard contractor Robert Alexander. That structure still remains behind the church’s Gothic Revival façade, applied in 1849 along with a bell tower that would become a Union lookout during the Civil War.
In early years, Christ Church’s balconies seated slaves, choir members, and Marines who were marched over on Sunday mornings from the nearby Barracks. Marine Band Director John Philip Sousa and his family were members and neighbors.
As a boy Sousa walked to Eighth Street for music lessons. He apprenticed to the Marine Band at age 13, playing various instruments through two enlistments until age 30. After a few years spent composing and conducting, he returned in 1880 to lead the Marine Band until 1892. That year he resigned to form the Sousa Band, which toured the world and sealed his reputation. Today’s audiences continue to thrill to Sousa’s compositions, including The Stars and Stripes Forever, the official march of
An outdoor service, around 1920. The rectory to the left burned down in the 1930s. (Christ Church Archives.)
From 1795 until 1807, the church met in this log tobacco warehouse “fitted up as a church in the plainest and rudest manner” near New Jersey Avenue and D Street, SE. (Christ Church Archives.)
These workmen added the final story of the current church’s bell tower and front vestibule in 1891. (Christ Church Archives.)
John Philip Sousa was born in 1854 to Bavarian immigrant Maria Elisabeth Trinkhaus and Portuguese immigrant John Antonio Sousa, a Marine Bandsmen, above, in this house at 636 G Street, right. (Library of Congress.)
In 1872 Antonio Sousa consented to his son’s re-enlistment in the Marine. (Marine Corps Historical Center.)
[Photo on reverse]: Parishioners in Federal-era costumes and Rev. David Dunning in a wig celebrate Christ Church’s 175th anniversary in 1969. (Christ Church Archives.)
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 12.)
Location. 38° 52.872′ N, 76° 59.835′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of G Street, SE and Touch for map. Marker is on the sidewalk, across G Street from the southeast corner of the church. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Philip Sousa (within shouting distance of this marker); In the Alley (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church, Washington Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); A Neighborhood For Everyone (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commerce and Community (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Strike Up the Band (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oldest Post of the Corps (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches, Etc. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 615 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 22, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.