Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort McCausland

The Confederate Right Flank

 

—Battle of Lynchburg —

 
Fort McCausland  -  The Confederate Right Flank image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2007
1. Fort McCausland - The Confederate Right Flank
This marker is part of the Battle of Lynchburg Trail of the Virginia Civil War Trails.
Inscription. To your right, Confederates built an earthen redoubt in 1864 to defend the strategic Virginia & Tennessee Railroad trestle over Ivy Creek. The six-gun battery of the Botetourt Artillery manned the redoubt and a position on the other side of Forest Road (Langhorne Road) crossing in front. To capture Lynchburg, Union Gen. David Hunter had divided his army and sent Gen. Alfred N.A. Duffie’s cavalry to seize the city by turning the Confederate right flank.

Gen. John McCausland cavalry moved to this location on the evening of June 17, after fighting a delaying action against the Union forces near the Quaker Meeting House. Firing from the redoubt and shallow trenches on this side of the creek, McCausland repulsed several Federal assaults from the west. The fighting here continued all day, June 18, until Duffie ordered a withdrawal and joined Hunter that night in retreat.
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 37° 24.802′ N, 79° 11.052′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is on Langhorne Road (U.S. 501), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on located in front
Battle Map - Fort McCausland in Battle of Lynchburg image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2007
2. Battle Map - Fort McCausland in Battle of Lynchburg
of Agudath Sholom Synagogue, on Langhorne Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2055 Langhorne Road, Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort McCausland ( a few steps from this marker); Lynchburg College ( approx. 0.8 miles away); Civil War in Lynchburg ( approx. 1.1 miles away); Lucille Chaffin Kent ( approx. 1.1 miles away); Mustered and Disbanded 1861-1865 ( approx. 1.3 miles away); Second Virginia Cavalry, C.S.A. ( approx. 1.3 miles away); Georgia Weston Morgan ( approx. 1.3 miles away); Dr. Robert Withers Morgan ( approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
 
More about this marker. On the lower left is a map illustrating the portion of the battle described in the text.

On the right a portrait of "Gen. John McCausland, an 1857 graduate of the Virginia Military Institute, later taught mathematics there. He campaigned with Gen. Jubal A. Early in the Shenandoah Valley after the Battle of Lynchburg." From the Lynchburg Museum Collection.

To the right of that portrait is one of "Gen. Alfred N.A. Duffie, a Frenchman, commanded the Federal 1st Cavalry Division. After the war, he served as U.S.
Fort McCausland marker - Battle of Lynchburg image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2007
3. Fort McCausland marker - Battle of Lynchburg
The remains of Fort McCausland can be seen in the trees to the right of the markers.
Consul at Cadiz." From the Library of Congress
 
Regarding Fort McCausland. This is one in a series of Civil War Trails markers interpreting the Battle of Lynchburg (17-18 June 1864) and the city's role in the Civil War. Select the Civil War Virtual Tour by Marker link below to see other related markers.
 
Also see . . .  Civil War Lynchburg Virtual Tour by Markers. An eight stop Civil War Trails tour, with several Virginia state markers and other memorials added. (Submitted on December 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 3,308 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement