Coleman in Marinette County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lena Road Schoolhouse
Erected 2002 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 477.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 45° 2.323′ N, 88° 2.694′ W. Marker is in Coleman, Wisconsin, in Marinette County. Marker is on U.S. 141 north of County Highway M. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coleman WI 54112, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Latitude 45° N (approx. 9.7 miles away); Old Copper Culture Cemetery (approx. 12.7 miles away); Mission of St. Francois Xavier (approx. First Church of Christ, Scientist (approx. 13.2 miles away); Nicholas Perrot (approx. 13˝ miles away); Stanley Toy Company (approx. 13.7 miles away).
Regarding Lena Road Schoolhouse. The Sunshine School District number One was formed in the year of 1881, as District Number Five of Little River. It is located two miles West of Lena on County Trunk A. The first school board consisted of C. W. Halstead, R. Cashman, the other officers.
The original log school and benches were built in 1882, on the present plot of land by F. Pellessier who also taught the first term. The rest of the school term being taught by E. L. Widger and Jennie Grandie.
When the school was built it was on land belonging to Holt. The District did not acquire title to this property until May 1892. In the fall of 1892, Sol Pelkey was awarded a $500.00 contract to build a new school. The old school was used while the new one was being built. It was of wooden exterior, painted red and in 1909 it was refinished with brick veneer. At present it is finished with wood siding and painted white.
When the new school was built a large type stove was installed which burned wood. Wood in the year of 1896 sold for about 95 cents a cord. Today we have
The first County Superintendent was Mr. Gilkey and the supervising teacher Miss Birr. They had nine months of school the first year, divided into three terms; fall, winter, and spring.
In 1944 to 1946 the Sunshine School was voted closed and the children moved to the Lena School. Then in 1946 they consolidated with Meadow Brook and the pupils came to the Sunshine District. The Meadow Brook School is now used as a Community Club House.
Throughout the years improvements have been added, such as a basement, larger playground, playground equipment, water system, indoor plumbing, and a new floor.
The building was eventually moved to its present site.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. This page has been viewed 644 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on December 23, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 3. submitted on August 14, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.