Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The George Ducat House

56 Tradd Street

 

—circa 1740 —

 
The George Ducat House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, December 27, 2010
1. The George Ducat House Marker
Inscription. Charleston shipbuilder George Ducat constructed this two-story Charleston single house shortly after purchasing the property in 1739. The house is a rare surviving example of a Charleston residence constructed partly of Bermuda stone, a coral limestone imported from that island as building material. Bermuda stone continued to be imported to Charleston as late as the 1770's for use in seawalls and fortifications.

In the mid-nineteenth century the two-story brick kitchen building was attached to the main house by a connector. The double tiered piazza with Tuscan columns and balusters was added during this period.

George Ducat also built 60 Tradd Street circa 1732 for his daughter Margaret on her marriage to Charleston physician Dr. William Cleland. In 1760 Dr. Cleland built 58 Tradd Street for his son on a lot bequeathed to the family by Ducat.
 
Erected 2005 by The Preservation Society of Charleston.
 
Location. 32° 46.488′ N, 79° 55.803′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Tradd Street 0.1 miles east of Meeting Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are

The George Ducat House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, December 27, 2010
2. The George Ducat House
within walking distance of this marker. The Colonel Alexander Hext Tenements (a few steps from this marker); The William Vanderhorst House (a few steps from this marker); Dr. William Cleland's House (a few steps from this marker); Jacob Motte House (within shouting distance of this marker); 58 Tradd Street (within shouting distance of this marker); William Harvey House (within shouting distance of this marker); Branford-Horry House (within shouting distance of this marker); 83-85 Church Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
The George Ducat House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, December 27, 2010
3. The George Ducat House
The George Ducat House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 6, 2011
4. The George Ducat House Marker
included
1976
Carolopolis
Condita A.D.
1670
Preservation Society of Charleston
The Carolopolis Award is a plaque placed on buildings that have been preserved, restored, rehabilitated or are outstanding examples of new construction. The award is presented to those individuals, businesses or organizations that currently own the property. The Carolopolis Award is a slightly modified reproduction of the seal of the City of Charleston. The word Carolopolis comes from the original name of the city
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 27, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.   4. submitted on October 9, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement