Near Kingston in Frontenac County, Ontario — Central Canada
The first Fort Henry was built during the War of 1812 to protect the British dockyards in Navy Bay. The present limestone citadel, constructed between 1832 and 1837, replaced the old fort as part of a larger plan for the defence of the recently completed Rideau Canal. Commissariat stores were built to join the advanced battery with the main fort in 1841-42. Fort Henry was garrisoned by British troops until 1871, when Canadian Gunnery Schools (forerunner of the Royal Canadian Artillery) took over. Abandoned by the military in 1891, the fort fell into disrepair. Restoration work began in 1936, and two years later Fort Henry opened as a historical museum.
Location. 44° 13.832′ N, 76° 27.618′ W. Marker is near Kingston, Ontario, in Frontenac County. Marker can be reached from Provincial Highway 2. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Fort Henry National Historic Site of Canada. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston, Ontario K7K 5G8, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Henry (within shouting distance of this marker); Kingston Navy Yard (approx. half a kilometer away); The Stone Frigate (approx. half a kilometer away); Strategic Importance / Importance Stratégique Point Frederick Buildings (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Sir James Lucas Yeo (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Commodore’s Residence, 1815 (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Pro Patria 1812-1814 (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Also see . . .
1. Kingston Fortifications. (Submitted on January 1, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona.)
2. Events at Fort Henry. (Submitted on January 4, 2011, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War of 1812 • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. This page has been viewed 938 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 31, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area photo of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?