Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lewes * Maritime History Trail
All that's left of the Delaware Breakwater Quarantine Station today are a few ruins. But from 1884 to 1916 it was a busy community where thousands of immigrants, medical personnel, and staff were housed. The station included separate men's and women's hospitals and a ward for contagious cases. There were also staff quarters, a disinfecting house, a boathouse, a flag house for signaling ships, a stable, two tanks for drinking water, a commissary, a blacksmith shop, a crematorium, and a cemetery.
There is no official count of people examined and treated by the station, but estimates exceed 200,000.
Erected by City of Lewes.
Location. 38° 47.167′ N, 75° 6.086′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from Coastal Highway (U.S. 9), on the right. Touch for map. Located near the fishing pier within Cape Henlopen State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. German Submarine at Cape Henlopen (here, next to this marker); Delaware Breakwater Quarantine Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Standing Guard (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Ever Changing Cape Henlopen (approx. 0.8 miles away); Delaware’s Beachnesters (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Osprey (approx. 0.8 miles away); Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Breakwaters (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
Also see . . .
1. Delaware Breakwater Quarantine Station. A very informative article on the history of the Delaware Breakwater Quarantine Station. (Submitted on January 3, 2011.)
2. Photos Taken at the Quarantine Station - circa 1917-18. (Submitted on January 3, 2011.)
Categories. • Notable Places • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 596 times since then and 49 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on January 1, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the markers and its surroundings. • Photo of the ruins mentioned. • Can you help?