Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Camden in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Camden

 
 
Camden Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
1. Camden Marker
Inscription. The history of this community can be traced to the 1780s, when members of the Mifflin family began dividing their land into lots. Much of this land was originally a part of a tract known as Brecknock, which was granted to Alexander Humphreys in 1680. Located at the intersection of two important thoroughfares, a number of homes and businesses were soon constructed here. First known as Mifflin’s Crossroads, and also Piccadilly, the village of Camden was firmly established by the 1790s. The town became a commercial center, sending most of its products to market by way of the port of Lebanon, and later by rail with the coming of the railroad in the 1850s. Camden was first incorporated in 1852, and again in 1869. The town was the residence of Delaware governors George Truitt and David Buckson, and the birthplace of Governor Charles L. Terry and General Henry H. Lockwood, one of the founders of the United States Naval Academy.
 
Erected 2001 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-72.)
 
Location. 39° 6.817′ N, 75° 32.535′ W. Marker is in Camden, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of Camden-Wyoming Ave. (Delaware Route 10) and Alternate U.S. 13 on Camden-Wyoming Ave.. Touch for map.
Main Street of Camden image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
2. Main Street of Camden
Marker is in this post office area: Camden Wyoming DE 19934, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morning Star Institutional Church of God in Christ, Inc. (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Whatcoat Church (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Camden (approx. ¼ mile away); Camden Friends Meeting (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Hunn (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brecknock (approx. 0.7 miles away); Caesar Rodney School District (approx. 0.7 miles away); East Dover Hundred (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Former Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
3. Former Town Hall
Next to marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 528 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 6, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement