On clear days, the summit offers views as far away as the Big Sioux River to the southeast, the James River to the west, and the Nebraska Bluffs to the south. Before starting out on this 0.8-mile trail to the summit, be aware that there is neither water nor shade between here and the top.
INSET - Taking Measure: In his journal, William Clark described the mound as a "regular parallelagram...300 yards in length...[by] 60 or 70 yards...leaveing a leavel Plain on the top of 12 feet in width & 90 in length."
TRAIL MAP - Indicates that the sign is situated at 1200' elevation and the Spirit Mound Summit is at 1300' elevation. The trail crosses Spirit Mound Creek.
Erected by Spirit Mound Trust; South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks; and National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. The sign is a part of the Missouri National Recreational River series.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition marker series.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis and Clark Were Here...and Here... (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis and Clark Visit Spirit Mound (within shouting distance of this marker); From Lewis and Clark to the Future (within shouting distance of this marker); Bruyer Church (approx. 7.8 miles away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 8.6 miles away); First Rural Electric Cooperative (approx. 8.6 miles away); Homestead Rest Area (approx. 10.3 miles away); The Great Missouri River (approx. 10.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vermillion.
More about this marker. This sign is located at the head of the trail to the Spirit Mound.
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 811 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 14, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.