Mammoth Hot Springs in Park County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
A Sense of Community
The last of the structures built by the Army (1913), the chapel added a "finishing touch" to the Fort and was considered by far its most beautiful structure. In 1914, Katherine Percy Edmunds and Captain Albert Ady King of the First U.S. Cavalry were the first couple to be married here.
In the decades since, the chapel has continued to serve the community. Thoughtful design has given it a timeless slendor that complements this wilderness setting.
Chapel Interior, 1971 - Local stone - Built at a cost of $23,000
Location. 44° 58.392′ N, 110° 41.924′ W. Marker is in Mammoth Hot Springs, Wyoming, in Park County. Marker is on Grand Loop Road - Upper Loop 0.2 miles south of Grand Loop Road - Lower Loop & North Entrance Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located about 130 feet southeast
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named A Sense of Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Guard Duty (within shouting distance of this marker); At Guard (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crime in Wonderland (about 400 feet away); A Most Fortunate Thing... (about 400 feet away); A Soldier’s Life (about 800 feet away); A Good Duty Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named A Soldier's Life (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mammoth Hot Springs.
Regarding A Sense of Community. The chapel described on this marker is actually about 300 feet southeast of where this sign sits, also along Grand Loop Road - Upper Loop. The marker is near an open lot with numerous large trees.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 629 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on January 16, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.